10 Maintenance Things Every Driver Should Know How To Do
Keeping up with your vehicle’s regular maintenance schedule is important for a long life on the Kettering roadways. While routine maintenance is typically done at a service center, it can also be done at home if you know what to look for. We have a list of 10 automotive maintenance tips to help you check your vehicle at home. And when it’s time for a bigger maintenance check, you can check your vehicle’s owner’s manual for the recommended maintenance schedule, then schedule a service appointment today at Bob Ross Buick GMC!
What You Need To Know
- Know the Manual: The owner’s manual to your vehicle is the key to helping you check everything properly and be able to keep your vehicle running smoothly for longer.
- Inspect the Vehicle: Check out your model’s owner’s manual so you can start noticing signs of leaks, flat tires, and more that you can have fixed before it becomes more serious.
- Check Your Tires: Invest in a tire pressure gauge. This tool helps make monitoring your vehicle’s tire pressure a breeze. Every now and then, check your tires to ensure they are at the recommended levels. You’ll also want to check the treads for signs of wear at home using a penny. When you place the penny with Lincoln’s head facing down, if you can see all of the head, your tires need to be replaced.
- Check the Engine Oil Level: Engine oil helps reduce friction, overheating, and excessive wear in the engine. Use the owner’s manual to locate the dipstick so you can check the oil levels. Also, keep in mind to check the color of the oil. A darker color indicates a change is needed.
- Check the Engine Coolant: Again, you’ll want to utilize your owner’s manual to determine where the coolant reservoir is located. Then simply make sure the coolant levels are where they need to be.
- Inspect the Engine Air Filter: The engine air filter should be checked regularly to make sure there’s no debris clogging the filter. If it’s clogged or dirty, be sure to replace it.
- Use the Right Fuel: Each model has a recommended octane rating. Make sure you pay attention to the recommended rating when filling up at the pump. Using a lower level can lead to a ‘knocking’ sound.
- Inspect Light Bulbs: Being able to see at night and having others be able to see you is important. Routinely check each bulb and replace the ones that aren’t properly working.
- Inspect the Windshield Wipers: There’s nothing worse than driving in bad weather conditions when your windshield wipers aren’t working properly to help you see. Learn how to check if your vehicle’s windshield wipers are working properly as well as how to replace them.
- Keep Track of Maintenance: Whether this means writing down the last time you brought your model in for an oil change or when you last changed the bulbs, it’s important to keep track of when these tasks were completed so you can better manage future routine maintenance checks.
Learn More at Bob Ross Buick GMC
Keep your vehicle’s maintenance in check when you learn how to perform these simple checks at home. As always, we at Bob Ross Buick GMC are here to help if you need help replacing something or if you have any questions. Also, if you do schedule an appointment with our service center, be sure to check out our available service specials as well as parts specials to help you save more on what your vehicle needs. Contact us today to learn more about our service, specials, models, to learn how to fix a dent in your car, how to winterize your car, or even to find the best places for auto financing!
Learn More at Bob Ross Buick GMC
When Bob Ross Buick GMC compared the 2020 Buick Encore to the Chevy Trax, some of the things about the Encore that Kettering drivers loved were features like the leather-appointed seats, exclusive Buick infotainment system, and the spacious interior. Take a closer look at the 2020 Buick Encore Interior with Bob Ross Buick GMC. Contact Us New Inventory 2020 Buick Encore…
The new 2020 GMC Acadia is redesigned and further builds upon the legacy attributes of its bold midsize SUV with a fresh exterior appearance, improved interior design, and advanced technologies. Bob Ross Buick GMC knows that Centerville drivers have high standards. Fortunately, the Acadia delivers! Read more about the GMC Acadia trim levels below and then head into…
Buick has introduced its newest SUV, and it has a familiar name, The Encore GX. It’s a mix between the smaller Buick Encore and its larger brother, the Envision. Centerville drivers looking for a crossover SUV should take a good long look at the Buick Encore GX. Read more about it here, and then if…